Re: front axle replacement

Depends...have you ever done anything like this before?

Yes, the first time I did it was slow and painful.  The 10th time was
really just a minor annoyance...maybe becuase it was 1am or something like
that. :)

Anyway, for the smallest headache, start with one of those 'reman'
Lifetime warranty axles with rebuilt CV joints.  (You'll never ever
ever catch me using one though...but let's not start this religous
squabble up again, eh?)  They're cheap, and if your car is just a
daily driver, it'll probably last a decent amount of time.

As for special tools...

You'll need a 30mm deep socket, at least 1/2 in drive with a massive breaker
bar/cheater bar to break loose the axle nut.  It's put on with 175ft/lb+
of force.  It'll also need to be put back at level unless you really
like the feel of wobbly wheels and the sound of wasted wheel bearings. :)

You'll also need an 8mm triple square driver (can be found in a four pack
of Lisle tools) for removing the inner CV joint from the transmission
drive flange. Do not use an allen wrench key.  Just don't.  You'll round
off one of the bolts, and then you'll be in a bit of trouble...

You'll also probably have to pop off the bearing carrier/steering hub
from the ball joint or you wont be able to pull the outer CV joint far
enough to get the axle out.

Lastly get some molydisulphide/molybendum grease for the inner side of
the inner CV joint where it mates with the flange.

You may also discover a leaking differential output flange seal...if the
'grease' runs out of the inner CV joint like oil, you'll need to replace
this flange seal also.

You get really good at this sort of thing after a while. :)

And that's the 1,000 foot overview...

==Brett