16v problem, ignition?

Hello, my brother has an '88 16v Scirocco and is having problems with what
sounds like some type of ignition problem.  My brother is in Dallas and I'm
in north eastern Tennessee so its kinda hard for me to diagnose the problem.
He has replaced the coil (Bosch) plug wires, O2 sensor and checked for loose
wires vacuum leaks, etc.  Each new part has helped the car but the problem
still persists.  This what my brother says about the problem

"it is directly related to the tachometer, because whenever it starts and
runs bad the tach will hang on either 2,000 and stay, or it will hang on
8,000 and not move while the motor is running.  I have to kill the engine and
then restart it until it runs ok, it only does it on start up though, it
won't do it any time it's running ok.  It still backfires through the pipe,
and misfires, when it acts up, so I don't know what the heck it is"

If anyone has expierenced this problem and could shed some light please let
me know.

Thank you,
Ira T