pitted windshield

The windshield on my 'roc is original and in excellent condition considering
it's been taking SoCal freeway and road abuse for 13 years.  However, it's
pitted as hell.  I'd like to keep it 'cause it seems that the newer
windshields ain't what they used to be - they chip and bullseye easier
than older ones.  Since this one's made it this far, I'd hate to change it.

Is there anything that can be done to "treat" a pitted windshield and
restore it to any degree?  Or am I SOL??

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0