Re: Neuspeed sway bar and new ball joint questions(Anyone?,Potterman???)

At 6:15 PM -0400 7/5/99, John C. Worden wrote:
>Today I got the engine out of the Scirocco and then went to work on the
>front suspension.  It's now all removed.  One question is: does anyone know
>what size bolts are used to install new ball joints once the old rivets
>have been drilled out?

When I did this my new ball joints came with bolts.....I don't
remember having any problem with them....oh, I'll bet you want to
know how big a bit to use.  Arg, I can't find it right now.  It's
pretty easy, if I can do it anyone can.

>Second question:  I'm installing a Neuspeed front sway bar too, and the
>instructions are for cars with and with out factory bars.  The car didn't
>have a swaybar but I've got the control arms from the '84 that did.  The
>problem I see is that if I drilled the holes in the control arms from the
>'81 and compared them to the factory holes on the '84 they won't match.
>Anybody else dealt with this.  According to the directions, as I've said,
>both control arms can be used with the swaybar but the bracket will not be
>mounted the same for both applications.
>Hope someone has the answer.  Thanks.

I swapped control arms from my '81 Rabbit w/o the holes for the ones
off of the '86 Scirocco 16V with the holes for the stock bar.  No
problem.  Now, I'm only using the stock bar off the 16v, I don't know
the Neuspeed bar to know if it mounts differently or not. Just get
new bushings pressed onto the control arms as long as you have them
off.

| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| jarrett@<NOSPAM>rpa.net                                       |
| "So take this hint. MacOSX Server on an ice-white and blue G3 |
|makes the best computer you've ever touched. Here at last is   |
|the thing you prayed for every miserable hour spent holding    |
|NT's hand as it convulsed, vomiting and choking on its         |
| own excrement in front of you ."                              |
|          -Steven W. Schuldt   Apple Enterprise Software       |