Neuspeed sway bar and new ball joint questions(Anyone?,Potterman???)

Today I got the engine out of the Scirocco and then went to work on the
front suspension.  It's now all removed.  One question is: does anyone know
what size bolts are used to install new ball joints once the old rivets
have been drilled out?
Second question:  I'm installing a Neuspeed front sway bar too, and the
instructions are for cars with and with out factory bars.  The car didn't
have a swaybar but I've got the control arms from the '84 that did.  The
problem I see is that if I drilled the holes in the control arms from the
'81 and compared them to the factory holes on the '84 they won't match.
Anybody else dealt with this.  According to the directions, as I've said,
both control arms can be used with the swaybar but the bracket will not be
mounted the same for both applications.
Hope someone has the answer.  Thanks.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/ front
suspension/steering, and all electrical being done now.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)