Re: Low Voltage

> Eric Parusel wrote:
>
> I'm just curious as to why my voltage is only 12.5 volts, could it be
> because of bad wiring?? Or would my alternator be to blame?? I have a
> Canadian 1982 Scirocco, would anyone know how many amps my alternator
> produces?
> thanks!
>
> Eric Parusel
> ericparusel@home.com

Just as Nate said; It may be the lower amp model. (If you don't have
A/C, it prob. is.) & as John said; If you have 12v+ when measured in the
car somewhere- the cig. lighter plug then you should try it across the
Alt's contacts. Voltage drop can occur between the engine bay and the
interior.

Since it's turning to warmer weather, even up north :), I'd break out
the dielectric grease, contact cleaner, and a good stiff, uh, brush-
yeah brush, and go to town on the cable to metal contacts in the engine
bay.

This follows along the lines of the venerable Supplemental Ground Strap
procedure. Increasing the flow of electricity by reducing the resistance
that's built up over time between-

the battery posts and clamps,
the battery's ground strap and the chassis & eng. block,
the Alt's case and the same two items above,
the 'Hot" side of the battery and the starter,
and again the 'Hot' side and the Alt's positive output,
Yada, yada, yada.

An additional wire from the CASE of the Alt to the Engine block helps a
bit, as well as considering chassis to eng block, chassis to Battery
Neg, and just outright replacement of the original battery cables.

Cleaning the places were they connect will increase the available
voltage by reducing parasitic loading and applying a thin film of the
dielectric (or at least petroleum jelly) will prevent oxidation in the
future.

hth,
Gotta go help the Bro' with the Women's World Cup.
TBerk
[Aint got time to finish the engine swap in my drive way, :( ]