MAYBE YOU CAN HELP...

I got this tonight. I thought id pass it along to see what others think
about it....
Please read on.....

sorry to just send you a message w/o your consent.  i have a problem w/a
car and can't seem to figure out what's the problem.  i hope it's alright
to ask for your advice.

the car is a '83 Rabbit GTI.  it's actually a friend of mine, but we're
both working on it together.  (by the way, my name is Erron and my
friend's Jason).  i'm not exactly sure on the mileage, but it's up there
(over 140k).  we've had the car for about 10 years and we've tried to
maintain it ourselves as much as we can (to our degree of mechanical
knowledge & religiously following the Robert Bentley manual for
procedures.)

the problem is this:  the car hesitates under acceleration, noticeably
when taking a right turn. (Fuel starvation while cornering.)

since this car wasn't driven as much (since we also have a '92 GTI), we
decided to do a tune-up which consisted of oil/oil filter change, plugs,
wires, cap, rotor, air element, fuel filter, belts (timing & alternator),
changed a few hoses, & flushed the cooling system.  we used all OEM parts
such as BOSCH.

well after all that, the problem still existed.  then we thought it's
fuel
related.  since we already changed the fuel filter, we thought it could
be
the fuel pump.  so we changed that.  well, the problem still existed...

then we deduced that the fuel tank must be bad (old age, been sitting for
a while...) we removed the tank and inspected inside.  it was not
considerably bad, but noticed some sediments inside.  also noted, inside
the tank, there's a tube that seems like it should be connected to the
tube that goes outside of the tank.  like there should be a rubber piece
of somekind.  it might have deteriorated or something.  is this correct?

so we guessed that that's the problem.  the rubber tube? has
deteriorated.
another friend of ours had a spare tank, but when inspected, had the same
symptom.  have you ever heard of this problem?

so instead of looking for a good tank, we decided to try and fix it
ourselves (w/the help of a friend who works in a machine shop.)  we cut
an
access hole on the top of the tank (about 4 in.sq.) then fitted a rubber
tube where there was a gap (i.e. from the tube inside the fuel tank to
the
pick up tube that goes out of the tank.

our friend fabricated/rolled a piece of aluminum to cover the hole, used
some kind of sealant, riveted the piece on, and spray painted it (just
the
cover piece) w/some kind of aircraft grade paint.

well after reinstalling the tank and buttoning everything up, we ran the
car again.  this time, not hesitation!  we were relieved to say the
least.

SCCA sunday came around last weekend.  thinking the car's ready (w/approx

3/4 full of gas), we're ready.  but my friend, Jason, who had the first
run, noticed the same problem again.  everytime he took a right turn, the
car would hesitate.  when it was my run (w/approx. less than 3/4 tank,
more than 1/2 full tank of gas) i noticed the same problem.

(thanks for bearing w/the long details.  i hope i gave you enough to help
us.)

so we're back to square one.  is the tank still good?  is there anything
else we could consider?

we were thinking of filling the gas to full and try and run the car hard
in an open/safe area to see if we still had the same problem.  also we
were considering swapping the tank w/a known good tank to see if it still
stalls.

we're just not 100% sure that the problem is even w/the fuel tank.
(sigh)...

i hope you have some helpful and insightful solutions.  again, i
apologize
on just dropping you w/our problems.  i don't know anybody else to turn
to.

by the way, i got your e-mail address a while back when ordering some
parts from techtonics.  i hope you don't mind...

my apologies & ALOHA!

What are your thoughts on this?? I already sent him a reply, just
wondered if anybody has any first hand experience they could share with
him.
TIA!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and