Re: [Opinions] 0.80 5th Gear Conversion -- 16v

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:16:48 -0500 16V JASON <jason@scirocco.org> writes:

>1. What do you think?  Worth it?

Completely. Especially if you spend anytime on the freeways.

>2.  How often do you have do downshift out of 5th on the highways,
>etc?

Id like to say never but that's probably not true. Depends on the grade
and the fuck I get stuck behind.. 4th gear always zings me back up to a
speed where 5th gear can take over and maintain which ever speed I want
to go. (Keep in mind I have the .71 5th gear in my GLi's newly required
4K tranny. Its a little better gearing than the 9A I had in there
before.)

>3. How much more than you did *before*?

just a tad, maybe.

>4. How slow can you cruise around in 5th on level ground?  I can do it
>at 30-32mph now with the 0.89 with no drama... will this increase to
like
>40, or like <gasp> 50?

Slowest speed before it chugs is about 45 mph. By this time 4th gear is
very user friendly.

>5. How is the downshift from 5-4?

1000 rpm difference so as long as you always remember to rev it high
(When your trying to accelerate th get on the freeway ect.) before
shifting. Its not as bad as it might sound. Its a total cruising gear. If
you wanna be racey, leave it in 4th and go for it..

>6. Was there any increase in fuel economy?

WAY! The first tank of fuel after the swap got me 44 mpg! Typically we
got 27 mpg on average, sometimes higher on trips but for the most part,
its driven around town. I think on average we get about 36mpg with the
car now.

Also don't forget that its quiet as hell with the taller gear. Definite
bonus....

>which doesn't seem
>that drastic-- just wondering if it's worth the expense.

It is. You give up the "total" performance aspect of it. You gain fuel
economy, less wear and tear on the motor from lower revs, quieter ride.
And, if you want to cruise at 90, it does so happily while getting great
gas mileage!

>...and all of you who have other 5th gear conversions, please also
>respond-- tell us which ratio you have, and what your impressions
>are... as well as engine speed at 70mph.  Thanks!!
>
>		Jason

If the GLi were a long distance driver, id keep the .71 in there. I think
something a little shorter like a .75 or .80 would be better suited to
the GLi. However since im planning on a 2.0L 8V engine build within the
year, the gearing will remain the same and shall perform flawlessly when
the time comes.
Im planning on installing a 4K in my Scirocco and it will have the .71
5th gear in it. That car is much lighter than the GLi and even tho the HP
between the 2 cars are about the same, the roc pulls the gear much
easier, for obvious reasons. It should be good in your Roc too but if
your hesitant, go with the .80 and see how you like it.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and