[head tech] Head's off...(long)

Hello everybody!
(hi Dr. Nick...)

Ive been sitting on a bunch of parts to put into the uGLi for a while
now. Techtonics exhaust, early manifold, poly steering rack bushings,
poly trailing arm mounts, braided lines, yoko 008R's...etc....

Well I know that doing an exhaust manifold is a PITA, so I farmed out
the work. My friends shop was booked for a week, so I called my buddy at
the VW dealership I used to work for. He said that he'd have one of the
guys stay late and do the manifold and exhaust. I figured I'd drop in
new ball joints while I was waiting.

First of all the 'tech' was young. His tools were ugly. This guy was a
monster. He insisted that you NEVER use heat to get the exhaust manifold
bolts off because the remaining fuel in the chamber (?) would ignite and
explode. This isn't what Ive heard or experienced, but...whatever.
He got all of the bolts out (2.5 hours!) except 2. One was just a stud
that was stuck, the other broke off with plenty of shank left.   Since
he couldn't get this broken one out, he decided to remove the intake and
stress bar. He broke the vacuum line to the brake servo and was super
un-organized leaving bolts and nuts here and there.

Then the stud snapped off clean to the car.
He decided to use an EZ out.  HE BROKE THE EZ OUT OFF IN THE HEAD!

At this point, I was ready to bludgeon the guy to death.  I told him to
go find some help, and while he was gone I packed up all my stuff and
removed the head. I pushed the car outside and locked it up. When he
came back he said 'What are you doing?' I tod him that I was going to
bring my mess to a machine shop to fix. then he charged me $50! I gave
him $25 and told him that I'd pick up the car tomorrow.  He was pissed
that I won't let him finish the job.   I told him that I could have
stayed home and broken the damn car myself!

******TECH QUESTION PART******
Anyway,
While the head is out, what should I do to it?  The exhaust valves (the
smaller ones, right?) are kind of a weird white-ceramic look...
I figure new injectors, new little shroud things for around the
injectors, new head and VC gasket, & new Orings for the coolant...
Anything else?
Should I do all new valves, valve seats and valve seals? What about
springs? can I get the head decked to raise compression slightly? Can i
re-use the head studs (even tho the bently says no)...  About how much
(average) is a valve job for a watercooled head? Do I go for a 3 angle?
HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!
Ive got about 1 BILLION questions, here.

I wanna do this once, button it up and call it a day.
The car is a daily driver for the late fall/winter/early spring seasons
and is autoXed rarely. I'm looking for a fun street car, not a track
car.

thanks!

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com