Re: manual gear oil - what grade?

> Jonathan Miles wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I have a slight problem with my Scirocco (1.8 GTII manual) in that it
> is very difficult to change from first to second gear without
> "grinding" the gears when the transmission is cold.  After a couple of
> miles everything is OK.  I seem to recall reading something about this
> being a common problem with VW Golfs (Rabbit?) with the same five
> speed box and that it can be cured be using a multi-grade gear oil.
> Has anyone out there heard similar?  I currently use Castrol EP 80
> gear oil as this is the grade recommended in my Haynes manual.  The
> names and makes of oils are a bit different here in the UK than in the
> US but I'd welcome any information on what grade to use etc.
>
> TIA
> Jonathan Miles
> Scirocco GTII '90

Sounds  like a case for Redline my man.

Synthetic, synthetic, synthetic.

( chanting like a certain Mr Meze. )

It won't fix a broken tranny but will 'fix' the symptom as you describe
it. I hav two quarts I've been sitting on while I see if my recent
engine swap would melt down.

Soon as the weather turns a bit I'm sliding it in.

TBerk