Re: manual gear oil - what grade?

It's normal. My car does it too. What I would reccomend
is to get some Redline MTL Synthetic or Castrol Synthetic Transmission
fluid. Costs something like $9 per litre. If that doesn't cure it,
then it would think
that your gears might have to be re-aligned. :p

HTH and GL!

I have a slight problem with my Scirocco (1.8 GTII manual) in that it
is very difficult to change from first to second gear without
"grinding" the gears when the transmission is cold.  After a couple of
miles everything is OK.  I seem to recall reading something about this
being a common problem with VW Golfs (Rabbit?) with the same five
speed box and that it can be cured be using a multi-grade gear oil.
> Has anyone out there heard similar?  I currently use Castrol EP 80
gear oil as this is the grade recommended in my Haynes manual.  The
names and makes of oils are a bit different here in the UK than in the
US but I'd welcome any information on what grade to use etc.

> TIA
> Jonathan Miles
> Scirocco GTII '90

Paul Maione (Rump Rocker)
Scirocco 86' 8v -Stored for winter. Blech! :p
In search for a Rabbit GTI (Given up. Lack of funds)
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/9149/scirocco2.htm
  -The nicest looking Scirocco in a 12 Kilmoter radius.-
(Actually, the only Scirocco within a 12 Kilometer radius!!)