Re: manual gear oil - what grade?

---Jonathan Miles <jem@clara.co.uk> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a slight problem with my Scirocco (1.8 GTII manual) in that it is very
> difficult to change from first to second gear without "grinding" the gears
> when the transmission is cold.  After a couple of miles everything is OK.
> I seem to recall reading something about this being a common problem with VW
> Golfs (Rabbit?) with the same five speed box and that it can be cured be
> using a multi-grade gear oil.
> Has anyone out there heard similar?  I currently use Castrol EP 80 gear oil
> as this is the grade recommended in my Haynes manual.  The names and makes
> of oils are a bit different here in the UK than in the US but I'd welcome
> any information on what grade to use etc.
>
> TIA
> Jonathan Miles
> Scirocco GTII '90

One suggestion would be to try a quality synthetic gear lube.  I would
recommend Redline MTL (for colder climates) and Redline MT90 for warmer
ones.  Other people have had great experiences with Spectro (a dino based
oil I believe) and Amsoil.  The crunching gears when cold is often cured
by switching tranny lube.

==Brett