Re: [tech] headgaket and stuff

88 16V,
to change headgasket or not?? Let's say compression is good, leak down is good too.

What happens when the headgasket has developed a leak and oil run down the backside of the block? I mean what could happen if one chooses not to change it right away when there is a small leak and then it leaks more?
What is the chain of events that could/will happen?

If one opts to replace the headgasket, does it make sense to fork over some extra money to replace the other gaskets as well since most of the motor, i think, is taken apart?
Or just replace the headgasket?
Will changing the headgasket be a major benefit if it has developed a leak?
Would it be a benefit to change all the seals?
TIA
Peace
Rich

I think that you might be sweating it a bit too much. :-) Changing the
head gasket on a 16v is not a minor undertaking, in my opinion. With
no loss of compression, your motor is not affected. About the only
thing that might be taking a hit is your oil pressure...you could always
measure it to see if it's within tolerance. If you're not leaving
major puddles of oil behind when you pull away, and your not having to
add quarts of oil between changes, don't sweat it too bad. Save up for
all the engine mods that you want to do, fix it then.

==Brett
\/ '84 Scirocco (ITB racer 2B) | "Hot VW's, take two home. They're small"