Re: engine trouble

At 06:02 PM 1/21/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dave,
>
>    What about the O2 sensor?  From recent reading (please correct me if I'm
>off base), but this doodad is checking the exhaust and adjusting the mixture
>of fuel to air to prevent heavy pollution.  If the sensor is reading
>incorrectly, it could be adjusting your mixture to a lean state at idle and
>low RPMs (causing bad idle and sluggishness) and intermittently readjusting
>at higher RPMs (causing lurching).  Just a thought.
>
>                    -Brad

I haven't seen an O2 sensor go bad that quickly. They sort of fade away.
But if you want to test the sensor, simpy unplug it, and if the idle gets
better, then thats likely your problem. If not, it could still be a problem
with OXS control unit. I've never seen one of these fail, but I would
imagine its failure would be a bit more abrupt, like what you describe.

  Other things to check: Have you verified you are getting spark, and fuel
at each cylinder? Have you read the plugs? When was the last time you
replaced your fuel filter?

Brad

Brad
(and no I'm not responding to myself)