RE: Single wiper conversion

i just got an '82 assembly, it's plug and play, almost.  i had to swap
motors (they are exactly the same, except the '82 is about 1/2" longer
than my '86, and the '82 motor was hitting the fresh-air intake thingy,
you'll see what i mean when you do it.)  that and there is only a place
to put one bolt to hold it down (the '82 has two bolts), but the other
end is held by the wiper post.  it took me all of an hour to swap out
assemblies.  i've heard a bar-end from a mountain bike pops in the
driver's side wiper hole perfectly.

i've been experimenting with single wipers for a while.  i took my stock
dual system and converted it to a single wiper by bending the arm on the
middle linkage, along with some other trickery and the end result swept
nearly the entire windshield (not those
parked-half-way-up-the-passenger-side jobs).  the only bad thing about
it was that the movement of the arm was jerky when it switched
directions, especially in the fast speed.  so that's why i got a "real"
monowiper from an '82, to fix the jerkiness (the real monowiper uses a
completely different linkage system).

well, i put on the "real" monowiper, and it didn't sweep as far as my
hack-job mono!  i was very disappointed with it.  so.....  start with
the trickery!!  i took it off my car *again*, and made a few key bends
and crimps to the linkage to allow it to sweep farther.  then, i swapped
the '82 motor arm with the '86 motor arm (it's longer).  i had to bend
it up a bit, as it was too long.  but now my wiper goes from flush with
the passenger side (flush as in no space at all), to about 2 or 3 inches
from the driver side.  if it swept any farther, the bottom of the wiper
blade will sweep onto the hood.  i am very happy with it, and you should
see a slight increase in wiper speed when you do it.  if you have any
questions i'll try to help as best i can.  GL...

chris "the ramblemeister"
86 16V 180wiper scirocco