Mk1 Scirocco power boosts on a budget.

Hey there everyone,
     I've got an '81 Scirocco with a 1.7L and 5 spd. tranny.  I need
to make more power (the cry of everyone on the list).  I've heard a
lot of opinions (eg.1.8L GTi head, Audi 5000 tb, port & polish... buy
a 16V, etc, etc...)  What would be the most effective way to make
about 100hp (at the crank) w/o extensive machining (I'll go as far as
the head... no bottom end stuff).  Also, I want to do this for the
least amount of money possible (lots of wreckers around, hint, hint).
     I am also in need of a P.S. door, any help there? I'm also
looking for a front air dam and euro bumpers (remember the budget...
preferably used).
     Also is there any one in the Southern Ont. area that is on the
list that I can get local advice from (eg. more wrecking yards, speed
shops, etc...)?  Looking forward to the responses (sorry if this is a
repeated question.... new to the list).

                      Steve
                     '81 Scirocco
                     '94 Golf CL (w/ all the goodies)