Re: [toys] AMT/ Ertl Scirocco kit revisited

At 5:02 am -0700 17/1/99, Benton Yoshida wrote:
>but I was wondering if we could bootleg it ourselves?  Would it be possible
>to take impressions (plaster? alginate?) from someone's unseparated kit and
>cast the pieces?  Pipedream?

It can be done.  You'd have to separate each part from the sprue and clean
it up, then make a mold of it using RTV silicone.  You can then cast
duplicates using a 2-part resin that's available at your better hobby
stores.  It's actually not as straightforward as I'm making it sound...
it's time-consuming, difficult to get decent casts of large parts (unless
you've got experience), and assembling the kit from cast duplicate parts
will be a LOT tougher than assembling the original.  The cast parts are
never perfect copies, so there'll be prep-work out the *ss to get each one
to fit with the others.

If you ask me, it would be easier/cheaper to just find intact kits and go
from there.  Pick up an issue of FineScale Modeler and have a look in the
classified section at the back.  Sometimes people will post ads liquidating
their collections... if that fails, you could contact someone at IPMS
(International Plastic Modelers Society) and try to get in touch with
somebody who might have, or know of, some kits.

Heh, GL either way... ;)