Re: CV Joints - AGAIN!

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:57:42 -0000 "MarkThomas" <scirocco.gt@virgin.net>
writes:

>Does anyone know if the CV joints on the Scirocco are a common
>weakness on the car.

Not really a weakness. Then can be a problem if they're ignored (as most
are) and not maintained.

>About a month ago I had to replace the left one (Split Boot then dried
out)
>Now the other is playing up. The boot isn't split, but there is alot
>of play in the joint. I can feel/hear it clicking.
>Is it the car or my driving style?
>I have to admit that I have a tendancy to drive quite aggressively.

Just because you replaced one side means nothing about the condition of
the other CV. They're pretty much independent and I find that they do
tend to wear out as a pair, baring an open boot with no CV grease
episode.
I like to replace both (outer) CV's as a pair if at all possible.
Especially when you don't know the history of the CV's and you know one
is bad, the other will soon follow suit.
So to answer your question, its (probably) not your driving style or the
car. Its just an aged CV joint nearing the end if its serviceable life is
all.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and