RE: SCIROCCO SURVEY for everyone

>ok ok, my turn..
>
>When did you first know you had to have a Scirocco for yourself?

back in '89, when i was researching which car i was going to get for my
first car, i read an article in road&track magazine, "10 best sports
cars for under $2000" (or some other low monetary figure).  after
reading it and studying the pictures and specifications of all the cars,
i narrowed it down to two:  the mk1 scirocco  or the fiat X1/9.  i ended
up getting the X1/9 because of the mid-engine, two seat, targa roof.
then i got another.  so all through high school i drove X1/9's, and
loved every minute of it, too.  but then i had to go to college and
needed something with more space to carry stuff.  remembering the
article again, i sold the X1/9 and found an 81 scirocco S in the paper
for $1200.  went to look at it and i fell in love.  i knew i had to have
it, and i did.  i drove it for a year before the rear axle fell off (the
axle mounting point sheared off from rust), so then i lucked out and
found an 86 16V.  i used to make fun of mk2 owners because my mk1 was
much better looking.  but then i drove the 16V and i kinda forgot about
that.  and the ground effects make it look mean!

still, when i got the 16V, i was nostalgic for my 81S until that one day
i pulled up in the far right lane (the one that ends 200 feet after you
cross the intersection) at a stop light.  this was the infamous
stop-light drag intersection.  i was next to a 300ZX (the 1st
generation, the ugly one...).  as the other light turned yellow i heard
him rev a bit, so i revved a bit too.  i had never really pushed it
before, but i was full of beans that day, so i held it at about 4K and
as soon as the light turned green i let out the clutch and floored it.
holy SHIT!!!  i spun the front tires all though first and chirped 2nd, i
was doing 50 before i knew what happened.  that ZX was so far behind i
started laughing.  that's when i fell in love..... again.  that was in
'92 and i still have my baby.  16VWEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

>What was it about the car that made you want one so badly?

the mk1 just looked (and still does) "right".  the lines flow so
smoothly over the car, it sits low, it's got a monowiper, the quad
rounds, the air dam, and it just looks awesome!  on mine i took both
bumpers off which made it look even meaner, and clamped two coils in the
front and back (taking off the bumpers raised the car about 1/2 inch).
what made me want the 16V was the engine!  wow...  and those teardrop
wheels!  and this looked, much meaner than the mk1, though i'll admit,
not as graceful.

chris
86 16V scirocco