Re: Leaded Gas (non-scirocco)

Yes, I feel badly for you.  Still, I have this fantasy of ripping
down some country road in Scotland in my big, red Satellite, red
hair flying wildly out the window, livestock running in terror,
and watching the bewildered/disgusted faces of some of the locals
as they wonder what the hell was that, only to be followed with,
"that maniacal woman, again.  .  .  .damned americans."

Jennifer

----------
| From: Ewan Hopkins <ewanhopkins@hotmail.com>
| To: sigmac@portland.quik.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
| Subject: Re: Leaded Gas (non-scirocco)
| Date: Friday, January 15, 1999 12:54 AM
|
| think yourself lucky - it would cost you three times as much to
fill
| your tank over here (UK).  That's part of the reason why the VWs
are
| popular over here: you can get better than 30mpg and still
kick-ass!

| Ewan Hopkins...
|
| '85 Storm 2.0 (avg. mpg:35)
| '86 GT 1.8
|

| >From: "Jennifer Mac" <sigmac@portland.quik.com>
| >To: "Sal Guzzo" <yu129742@YorkU.CA>
| >Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
| >Subject: Re: Leaded Gas (non-scirocco)
| >Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:47:48 -0800
| >
| >I have anguished over this subject.  It really toasts me that I
| >can't get leaded gas for my '71 Plymouth.  (anybody know a
black
| >market resource?)  The lead substitute additives aren't really
| >lead, just a substitute, and I really have to wonder if it's
| >enough.  Afterall, they put lead in gas for a reason. Not
getting
| >too specific, and you probably already know this, but it acts
as a
| >lubricant from what I've been told.  Anyway, I have asked more
| >people for their opinions on this, mostly mechanics and people
| >with good, lead-loving cars--they probably think I'm
| >obsessive--but I'll share with you the consensus I gathered and
| >have put into use.  The outcome?  I'll have to wait to see.  It
is
| >as follows:
| >
| >1.  Never buy gas at cut-rate stations, Chevron or Texaco being
| >the only two anyone recommended for their "Supreme" gas.  2.
Only
| >buy the "Supreme" or highest octane rated gas which supposedly
has
| >the lead substitute already in it.  I am told it is just as
good
| >if not better than the bottled stuff.  The unleaded "Plus"
version
| >may have the additive in it, but most recommended the higher
| >octane.  3.  If you're going to use the bottled stuff, you have
| >use it in every tank of gas. 4.  If you use just plain unleaded
| >gas, you probably won't notice any difference at first, but
you'll
| >pay for it later.
| >
| >I feel for ya.  Every time I fill up my 17 gallon tank with
| >supreme, it's about 25 to 30 bucks.  The 318 v8 gets about
10mpg
| >city/14mpg hwy. The price I pay to parade around in a muscle
car,
| >tsk, tsk, tsk.  Needless to say, my 'rocco is my daily driver!
| >(usu. 40mpg) and it may not break window glass or tear up the
| >asphalt, but it's zippier!  :)
| >
| >Jen
| >
| >----------
| >| From: Sal Guzzo <yu129742@YorkU.CA>
| >| To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
| >| Subject: Leaded Gas (non-scirocco)
| >| Date: Thursday, January 14, 1999 9:49 PM
| >|
| >| Sorry guys for the totally non-scirocco post, but this was
| >eludes my dad
| >| and I.  I own a 67 Peugeot 404 which is obviously carbed.
| >However, the
| >| owner's manuel and the gas tank cap say that I must use only
| >Supreme Leaded
| >| Gas.  Not unleaded, but leaded.  I have been running unleaded
| >gas and
| >| occasionally add lead which I purchase from my local store.
Is
| >it okay to
| >| use unleaded gas in this car or should I add lead every time
| >fill.
| >|
| >| Just to keep this semi-scirocco related, I use unleaded gas
in
| >my Scirocco
| >| and it's being stored for the winter.  There, my scirocco
| >content for the day.
| >|
| >|
| >| Sal