RE: SCIROCCO SURVERY for everyone

>When did you first know you had to have a Scirocco for yourself?

In 1976(?)  not sure, I was pretty little.  It was during the
Olympics, and they had this ad campaign for the Scirocco, the
Dasher, and of course, the Rabbit.  I was very conscious of cars
at an early age, probably because my dad is a car enthusiast.
(Too bad he isn't into VW's--I could use his mechanical expertise
from time to time.  But then, now I have you guys! :)

>What was it about the car that made you want one so badly?

It looked so fast and sleek and racy!  If I remember right, the ad
showed it racing across sand dunes, supposedly of the Sahara,
though I didn't get the connection until someone explained the
meaning of the name.  The ironic thing is, when I got this car I
wasn't even thinking of keeping it as a "collector".  At the time,
I just needed a CAR, so for a long time I thought, "someday, I'll
get a nicer Scirocco, worthy of collection."  But, after being a
part of this list, I realize it can be nicer, it's not in that bad
of shape.  It just needs some cosmetics, like new paint, a grill
(it didn't have one when I got it), new seats, bumpers, etc. I
used to worry about the mileage, but hey, all Sciroccos are
getting older, so it's just a matter of maintainance, right?  I
sure do appreciate all of you, for the knowledge you share and fun
you have in sharing it.

Jennifer
'79 1.6