Re: [non-Scirocco] Any Photo Artists out there?

At 03:11 PM 1/13/99 , SigMac wrote:
>Yeah, I sure do miss the 80's.  Listen, though--I don't want you
>to think I didn't appreciate what you had done--it just got me
>thinking about what would have happened to the Scirocco if still
>in production.  I do give credit to VW for holding out at least a
>little bit in their design evolution.  Look at the Jetta, which
>until this year or last still held the boxy sharp lines in its

I completely agree with you; and luckily, so did VW-- about the Golf.  The
A4 Golf is almost unchanged appearance-wise.  Of course, there *are*
changes, but VW made it a point to keep the design as close to classic as
possible.

>style and you can still see some of that.  I sometimes am dismayed
>when a car company has come up with a really "classic" design, one
>that is like no other and has an enduring sense of identity, and
>then all of sudden completely scraps it.  I guess they think

I was just pondering this the other day.  Look at just about every 1999
model car on the road.  Then, look at the 1996 version thereof.  Notice
anything?  I sure do-- I like the 96 better.  There are, of course, a few
exceptions-- mostly VW cars, and all Germans...  but anything Japanese?
The 92-96 Camry was, in its dull glory, the epitome of graceful
understatement; it was astonishingly beautiful.. and won design awards left
and right.  The new Camry?  Looks like a cheap, rubber-maid ricebox.  Ditto
the Corolla.  Ditto the Tercel.  Ditto the Honda Civic (I am still not used
to those bug-eyes).  Look at the TAURUS! Look at what happened to the
MUSTANG this year! What about the ESCORT?!  Even the famed Chrysler designs
are falling victim-- the current Neon is much better looking than the
replacement; ditto the Jeep Cherokee *and* the Grand Cherokee.  Same deal
for the Concorde/Intrepid ugly ducklings.

What is this world coming to?  Toyota woke up-- they offically dumped their
policy of mandatory redesigns every 4 years...  but they're one generation
too late.  Let's Honda figures this out before we get the next round of
uglies from them. GM's doing just fine, but Ford is a lost cause...

	One of these days, when I rule the world, companies will listen to their
customers. :)