Re: Mini-slip and Velocity limited-slip.

At 09:35 AM 1/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>They both provide a static amount of "breakaway torque" that must be
>overcome for the wheels to turn at different rates.  The stock system might
>be in the neighborhood of 5 ft-lbs.  As far as I know, Velocity is only
>selling one version of their kit now which they say offers about 80 ft-lbs
>of breakaway torque.
>
>My $.02 is that the factory mini-slip is worthless and the Velocity kit
>*might* actually be worth the $99 it costs, but not much more.  It's
>certainly no Quaife.

Given that you import the Quaife for around $900, I would certainly hope
you wouldn't compare the Velocity diff shim kit favorably to the Quaife.:)
I've driven a few cars(not VWs) with Quaifes, and I have the Velocity kit
in my 16V. The Quaifes are definitely great. And I won't deny that they are
better than the Velocity kit in terms of performance. But the Velocity kit
is really nice. I am extremely satisfied with it, and even if it cost
double what it does, I'd say the performance improvements I gained were
worthwhile. The car really hooks up much better than it did before. Maybe
I'm just a cheap bastard, but I'm quite satisfied with the $99(I got it on
sale for $90) Velocity kit, and couldn't see spending $900 for a torque
biasing diff for my 16V.

Brad