Charging Problem...please help me!

Well,

I got my car back today thinking that everything was going to be
alright..........guess not.  Thankfully I was with some people who assited
in push starting my Rabbit.  Here's my problem which I can't figure out.  I
can start the car and run it fine.  The volt. gauge reads about 13v while
driving.  If I shut the car off and try to start it, it starts.  However,
if I let the car sit for a while, nothing happens. The lights will come on
and then it'll try to crank and just dies.  Okay, this car is really toying
with me...I'm try to brainstorm some ideas about this prob. and this is
what I came up with:

Starter - nope, cuz it cranks the car.
Battery - nope, cuz the car runs fine and doesn't die. I drove the car
tonight for about 1 hour (good enough time to drain the 	battery, I says)
Alt. - I don't think so, but not sure cuz the car starts after it is 	shut
off and the volt. gauge continually reads about 13v.  If 	alt. was no good,
wouldn't the volt. drop significantly as I	 	drive and apply loads.

Shortage somewhere - possible, something is draining juice from the battery
when it is not being driven.  I have no alarm system, no power locks,
windows, etc.  Can anyone tell me how to check for shorts in the car.

I feel as though I've lost the battle, Please recall that I did a complete
carb to fuel injection swap.  I started during the first week of October
and it's what day today......it's taken a while but hopefully soon I will
be driving my VW again.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the trouble I may have caused

Sal

81 Scirocco (motorless)
84 Rabbit (turned GTi with 83 motor)
67 Peugeot 404 (original - no rust)