Re: H4 install problems-catching my car on fire!

At 01:48 PM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
>    I tried posting this earlier, but don't know if the first one  went
>thru......
>
>Hello All,
>
>I hope you all had a great New  Years!
>
>So, I went to install a pair of 55/60 H4s yesterday and  some
>really bad things started to happen.
>First, I pulled the original  ones and plugged the H4s in, strictly
>  Then, I turn them  on, and my high beams are glowing

Did your H4s come with a small wiring adapter? While the H4 uses the same
plug as stock, the wires are in a different order. So if you plug in an H4
without an adapter, you will get that dim glowing. See if the H4s came with
an adapter to plug in otherwise, you will need to rewire the connector
yourself. Someone in the last month or so posted the differences in how the
stock vs H4 connector was wired. I'd search the mail list archives for that.

>Can someone please  tell me what I'm doing wrong?

1) Are you using relays? If not thats one thing you should do.
2) You can't plug the H4 directly into the stock socket. Find the adapter.
My Hellas came with one. If you got another brand, you may be SOL, and have
to modify your connector yourself. You should be able to do this yourself,
using the info on the connectors found either in the archives, or it may
also be on someones tutorial on installing relays.
3) If you made your own relay harness, you wouldn't have to worry about #2
4) See #1

Brad