Re: Changed man and questions

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 Brad Sheridan <brads@mindspring.com> writes:

>-Tools list snipped!-
>8mm triple square, for CV drive bolts. I got a SnapOn one, after
>twisting and destroying one I got from somewhere else.

I bought one from a local yahoo auto parts store and right away lost it.
Then went somewhere else and bought another one. When I got home, I found
the original one. I don't know the brand name. So, now I have 2 and
fearlessly use mine with my impact wrench! Shoots em off, shoots em on.
Saves me alot of wrenching. Then I follow up with the torque wrench
action.
Sometimes you get good ones, sometimes you get junk. Ive been lucky so
far but the bottom line is, you gotta have one if you plan on doing your
own work.

>Jackstands. Never do work under the car without them.

Agreed! Besides that, it free's up the floor jack to hold the engine up
when your pulling out the tranny. :)

>floor jack. These are much nicer to work with than the puny one that
>came with the car.
>
>carb cleaner, liquid wrench, and lots of shop towels.

I cant stress the, "lots of shop towels" enough. I consider that I have a
pretty clean engine bay. However it never fails to amaze me that I can
steam clean it and then do a tranny installation one weekend, come back
the next weekend and STILL finish the job with completely black hands,
arms, face. Grease and crap oozes from cars.

Great list Brad! Saved me some typing I must say. This is basically all
that you will ever need until you get into the engine. Then you will need
the head bolt tool. That also works on the 5th gear bolt so its a dual
purchase tool. :)

I'll add to the "to-buy list". Get a timing light. It doesn't need to be
expensive or fancy. Just one that works.

Get an OX sensor socket. it has a slit up the side so you can
remove/install the sensor without damaging the wire.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and