Freeze plugs

I noticed yesterday, while tracking down all my coolant leaks (lots!) that
some is leaking through a small hole in a freeze plug. I understand that
they aren't too hard to put in, just tap-tap, but what about getting them
out. There doesn't seem to be a way to grab hold of the edge, can you get a
screwdriver under it? Ideas? Should I drain all the coolant before taking
it out or will a lot of it stay in the engine/radiator? I gotta drain, it,
don't I?

TIA!

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v