Re: Prelubrication

Jorel Jackson wrote:

> I was losing the faith there for awhile until I found this group, and
> realized other people were into Sciroccos as well. The faith is
> restored, the enthusiasm is back. Still I've forgotten many of the
> things I was going to do about 8 years ago, maybe even longer than that.
> So the thing that just came back was prelubrication. This always sounded
> like a fantastic and wise thing to me. I can't stand to think of the
> things going on just after a cold start up. Anybody out there have a
> prelubrication system, and have any words of advice as concerns
> installation? In the planning stage of restoration and augmentation. All
> advice welcome.
>
> JSJackson '85 Scirocco

As any of the cognicenty (sp) will relate;

Taking the time to invest in proper lubrication will lead to greater
results for both partners in the long run. Take that any way you can see
it.

Feel out the nature of your partner in driving, you will see than
keeping things slippery will generate a better time to be had by all.
(slurp, slurp.)

One thing as it relates to Pre-lube is using OEM filters like Mann and
others. They tend to retain oil in the passageways after a shutdown
thereby providing oil to the newly started engine. Nothing else is
easier and mandatory, from my point of view.

A Prelube system, esp. one that is Turbo'ed or hi performance, would be
a great thing to engineer into a whole vision, long term ownership
thing.

My scholarly investigation has been with post shut down, Turbo type
applications. Ones that  keep the cooling oil pumping after the hot
engine is shut off.

In the case of pre-lube it would require the driver to contribute to the
regiment of proper operation, would it not? Will most drivers wait while
the engine gets recharged?

Still, I'd like to know what developments have taken place on this
front.

As to my own thoughts, I'd think about an oil resovour that would hold
an amount of oil to deliver to the top end of the engine upoon startup,
perhaps a quart in an oil cooler or sump attached to the existing oil
filter mount?

If you're Gung Ho, then keep us informed of your progress and
developments.

Thx,
TBerk