Re: Questions, questions, questions.

>2.  The other question that i know has been discussed many times, is my
>shifter is feeling loose and first gear is hard to get in to at times.
>How can I tighten this up and smooth out first gear?

Funny you should ask...   2 days ago I had my shifter done.  Had to get the
fan's thermo switch replaced at the time so I had my mechanic do both jobs.

My shifter had a lot of slop in it.  I could move it at least an inch in
any direction (at least 2 inches from extreme left to extreme right while
in gear). and first was a little tough to get into sometimes.

One thing to note, though.  The kit my mechanic used didn't include some
particular bracket that is necasary for sciroccos.  He said that for some
reason the scirocco requires a bracket replacement when doing the shifter
bushing kit.  The bracket had to be ordered and should be in in a few days.
$8 for the bushing kit. 1Hr labor.  Extra $30 for the bracket.  total cost
$90 including labor.  (You might not need the bracket if the bushing kit
has been done once before, but have your mechanic check the kit and you car
before you get the work done. it'll same you an extra trip.)

Now shifting is 100% better!   Shifts are light and easy, my driving is
much smoother, and it's a pleasure to drive again... (don't get me wrong,
it's always a pleasure driving a scirocco. :)  )

There's still a little movement in the shifter but that should be taken out
after the bracket is replaced.  I'll let everyone know as the work goes on.

Derek Tarvin
87 Scirocco 16v
(with a screwed-up rear bumper thanks to b.... with no insurance.  grrrr!)