Fwd: [16v] 0.75 5th Gear - DONE (very long)

>Hey gang,
<snip>
>THE BAD PART:
>	Well, nothing's perfect... Don't get me wrong.. I wouldn't hesitate
for a
>second to get rid of that blasted 0.91.  But, at least for a stock 1.8
16v,
>the 0.75 is a little too much of a drop from 4th.  As all of you with
1.8
>16vs, know, the car has a flat spot off idle that lasts until about
>2000rpm.  (Yep, it's called a "flat spot off idle", not a "horrible
low-end
>torque" like the 8v guys call it, cause it only lasts until 2k)

***My policy has always been to never let the RPMs get below 2K (except
for 1st, of course). Keep the engine in the power band I say.

 You could
>run up the side of Mt Everest at 35mph (60km/h) in 5th with the 0.91 at
>2000rpm--- but try it any lower, and the car would just hate you.

**this is true of just about any VW 4 cyl I have ever driven.

>THE VERDICT:

>	Using a 0.80, however, would only bring down the minimum 5th gear
cruising
>speed of about 45mph to about 42mph... An extra 3mph of low-end
cruising
>ability wouldn't be worth 250rpm more on the highway, in my opinion.
I've
>spoken with a few people who had the 0.80 and they agreed that they
still
>longed for a longer 5th gear... and while noone with a 0.71 has
complained
>to me that it's too long on the highway, noone I spoke with has one
mated
>to a close-ratio tranny with the short 4th... and I think it's safe to
say
>that the drop would be too large.

**your verdict, which is fine. I look at fifth as overdrive. 1-4 for
acceleration and in town. That's me. It'll be .71 for me.

>	Therefore, I conclude that the 0.75 is the best compromise for a 5th
gear.
> Passing power above 75mph in 5th is still immense, and there's always
4th
>gear for those serious times.  The car is smoother, quieter, and more
>comfortable on the highway.

Thanks a bunch for posting this Jason. Can you give the name of the guy
that did the job (and the price?)?

Did you get the rivets replaced on the tranny?

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco
1987 Golf GT (4000@ 75mpg - ugh!)