Re: [tech] torque on headgasket?

>From: Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com>

>On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:59:29 PST "Chris Chemidlin"
><spredhaus@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>Does the VW Motorsport 'group a' headgasket take anymore torque than
>>the stock one?
>
>Nope. Same-same.
>
>>The reason I ask is , under my oil cap Im getting 'maynoaise'- that's
>>sign of coolant getting into the system, right?
>

>No. Its a sign of moisture in the oil system. Could it be you didn't do
>thorough CLEANING job on your rebuild? Sounds like you rushed the hell
>out of it to get it done. that's precisely how you screw stuff up.

Woah! You don't have to get all snippy! When I match ported the head and
manifolds, chips got everywhere. I didn't have the experience or
foresight to cover everything up. I brought the entire head and
manifolds to a place with a solvent tank and spent a good 30mins or so
cleaning out EVERYTHING on the head.
I thought it was clean, but some of the solvent may have been trapped in
the oil passageways.
I didn't even thing of that- that's why I posted the question.

Yes, I did have a deadline to get it done, but that just ment putting in
long hours in the garage- not doing it quickly.  I have full confidence
that I followed the Bentley correctly, but Im using the list's
experiences as my own, since I have none in this case.

>>  Could it be left over
>>solvent from when I cleaned all the metal chips out of it (aftermatch
>>porting)?
>

>Why would solvent be in the head passages if its from your port job?
>

>>If I look into the coolant resovior, I don't see any oil- but then
>>again, I don't know what to look for.
>

>If water is leaking into the oil, the coolant will look normal. (Should
>look like green coolant, or whatever it is you used.)

When I asked this question, I was assuming that the 'mayonaise' ment I
had a bad headgasket. Supposedly one of the signs of a bad headgasket is
coolant in the oil, and oil in the coolant.
I am fully aware that if there is an oil problem, the cooant will not
have a problem, wise guy.

>>Can I just crank in some more torque into the bolts?
>>
>>HELP!
>

>NO!! if you used the one time torque bolts, if you torqued them like
the
>bentley says:
>30ft lbs
>44ft lbs
>1/2 turn
>your done.

Finally some useful info without the beating! Thank you. I didn't know
that I could not retorque the bolts. This is the first time Ive dug into
the motor on a watercooled car.
Shawn, please don't answer my questions if you're just gonna be a smart
ass. I really appreciate your experiences, but I could do without the
berating.

BTW- where's my T-shirt I ordered 6 months ago?

>              Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
>The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
>best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus