Re: [tech] torque on headgasket?

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:11:36 PST "Chris Chemidlin"
<spredhaus@hotmail.com> writes:

>>No. Its a sign of moisture in the oil system. Could it be you didn't do
>>thorough CLEANING job on your rebuild? Sounds like you rushed the hell
>>out of it to get it done. that's precisely how you screw stuff up.
>

>Woah! You don't have to get all snippy!

That wasn't snippy. Just stating the facts, man. Don't like the facts,
then Don't read it.

>When I match ported the head and
>manifolds, chips got everywhere. I didn't have the experience or
>foresight to cover everything up. I brought the entire head and
>manifolds to a place with a solvent tank and spent a good 30mins or so
>cleaning out EVERYTHING on the head.
>I thought it was clean, but some of the solvent may have been trapped in

>the oil passageways.
>I didn't even thing of that- that's why I posted the question.

Well, you failed to tell me this bit of info. Kind of important dontcha
think?

>Yes, I did have a deadline to get it done, but that just ment putting in

>long hours in the garage- not doing it quickly.  I have full confidence
>that I followed the Bentley correctly, but Im using the list's
>experiences as my own, since I have none in this case.

What do I care, its your car, do whatever. I have LOTS of experience with
VW motors and I shared much of it in my reply, just for you.

>When I asked this question, I was assuming that the 'mayonaise' ment I
>had a bad headgasket. Supposedly one of the signs of a bad headgasket
>is coolant in the oil, and oil in the coolant.

That is true. If your motor had been running for lets say a year, and
then you noticed this Mayo then you might have a problem, barring an
experience with cold temps and a short engine run time. However you just
put this thing together so you can expect to see something odd for a few
days until everything has a chance to break back in and the contaminants
has a chance to burn out of the oil.

>I am fully aware that if there is an oil problem, the cooant will not
>have a problem, wise guy.

Look dude, I wasn't being a wise guy. I wasn't there to see the work
done, I wasn't there to see the contamination you pitifully described so,
based on the info you gave me, I gave my reply.

>Finally some useful info without the beating! Thank you. I didn't know

Where was the beating? You want a beating, ok fine, fuck you. Get help
from somebody who gives a fuck about you or your car. Hows that?

>that I could not retorque the bolts. This is the first time Ive dug into

>the motor on a watercooled car.
>Shawn, please don't answer my questions if you're just gonna be a smart
>ass. I really appreciate your experiences, but I could do without the
>berating.

Yah right.

>BTW- where's my T-shirt I ordered 6 months ago?

You wont be getting a shirt. You will get a full refund, you Don't
deserve to wear a Scirocco t-shirt.
Everybody else's shirts are scheduled to be printed mid march, maybe
sooner.

Were thru dude.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and