Re: Stripping Paint of Skirt Kit

Paul, let's start with the basics.  Is it a body kit off a S2 16valve?  Was
it ever repainted? Or does it have the factory finish?  If it does, you
don't need to strip the paint.  Just smooth it, prime it and shoot it with a
ton of flex compound in the paint.  What, is he afraid it's gonna rust?
Now if it was repainted, he may be wanting to strip it down incase the paint
did not adhere to the parts very well.

jim

Paul Maione wrote:

> Hey All!
>
> Okay, this is the scoop. I bring my Skirt Kit to
> someone I know to get it painted, figuring he can
> set me up with a deal at the local bodyshop. I was
> thinking something like $75. He calls me and tells
> me that's it's going to be over $300 because he has
> to strip the old paint off. Now here's my question;
> Is there a simple way to take the paint off without
> sanding? Is there a type of goo substance that removes
> paint? If I do have to sand it, what will I need? (Type
> of paper, accessories)I figure I'll take the old paint
> off myself, and then have him spray it. Any help whatsoever would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>

> ==
> Paul Maione (Rump Rocker)