[Engine - Motor Mounts] was: Scirocco recall

Chris Coracini wrote:

> > Actually, he's the one who brought up the idea of the recall.  I was
> > speaking to him about getting hoses and motor mounts replaced when he
> > mentioned the heater core.
> >
> > BTW To replace all three mounts, labor is $390.00 ... ($60/hr) ...
> > I'm
> > thinking about taking a day off of school and doing it myself.
> [Chris Coracini]
>
> hold up, is this motor mounts you are talking about?  there are 4, not
> 3, and you can get a complete set from TT for $90, plus the cost of
> pressing two in (about $50).
>
> chris
> 86 16V scirocco

Not to say forget TT, but FORGET TT. I got the same service from Mike
Potter; got a Pass. mount pre pressed as well as a tranny mount pre
pressed. The front and back, of course, were not an issue.

Just wish I had painted them with my Bar B Q paint before I put them in.

In terms of do it yourself- I was replacing the mounts while swapping
engines. Regardless, tIps I'd include are-

Having a floor jack from underneath or some type of hoist over head to
support the eng.

Prep by spraying liquid wrench prior to doing the job- giving it a
chance to penetrate, Simple Green the mounts and bolts sockets just
before to removal to clean gunk away, helps the Hex wrench to get a good
bite.

when you get to pulling each mount,  get a good quality 8 mm (some may
have 6 mm) Hex wrench and a 'breaker bar' (saves your ratchet) in
addition to the standard tool kit. Because the space is tight between
the chassis and motor then a combo open end wrench will be useful as
well. I think it'll be 13 mm. ( Quick aside, Husky makes a polished
model of the standard wrench, could do with out the glitzy, but it's
longer than their stand model. More leverage.)

hth,
TBerk