Re: [Tech - Cruise Control]

Jeff Wheeler wrote:

> This topic got me to thinking - has anyone ever installed
> factory cruise parts in a car (oh, say, an '82, for example)
> not originally equipped that way?

It is not too difficult if you can find the components.
This was a factory "add-on" design so that the harness
and components are not fully integrated into the earlier
versions.  You need as a minimum:

Vacuum pump/vent valve module (mounts to strut tower).
Controller box (under dash, about 1x2x5, black).
Actuator (small 2-3 inch diaphragm) and bracket with
   pull rod and lever for throttle body.
Brake pedal vacuum/electrical switch.
Turn signal switch assembly with cruise switch (which
   could be replaced by simple dash mounted switches).
Harness, or at least connectors for controller,
   pump and switches so you can make your own.

The speed sensor in the speedo is about the same frequency
as the tach, so an interface circuit can be made to actually
use engine speed rather than road speed.  This also eliminates
the need for a clutch switch.

I actually have the parts to do this, but have not gotten
around to it yet.  Maybe I should experiment for the list and
post results?  The schematics are in the Bentley manual.

regards,

Mark