fan ain't workin'..

  <<Slink wrote......>>:
 Also recently, I'm having problem with the car
> overheating.  I live the NYC, so traffic is a Bitch, but I've notice now
> that my car is running hotter that it used to.  Is the overheating problem
> linked to the radiator fan.  I cant recall the last time I've seen the fan
> running.  I really need some advice so that I can enjoy driving my rocco
> without the the fear of overheating or break down. Any and all help would
> be appreciated
>
> thank you
>
> 85 scirocco wolfburg edition

    Mr. Slink,
    The fan switch is a common problem.  Not just the switch itself
(which is screwed into the radiator), but the whole fan switch circuit
which runs to the fuse box and back.
    Solution::
    1. disconnect and throw away all existing wires to fan
switch.(don't leave any loose ends)
    2. Rewire like this::  (12 or 14 awg) power lead with an inline
fuse from bat.positive to fan switch.  Then just run a ground(12 or14
awg) from other side of switch to bat.negative.
    conclusion:  switch works when it needs to and is way more
efficient.
    Don't forget to test the motor itself ( run two wires from the motor
direct to bat. terminals to see if the motor is not your problem.)

    You might as well replace the switch and thermostat as well.
It's cheap, and better to be safe than sorry.

   - Noah
      ps- I just got an awesome deal on a Kenwood detach. CD deck
from Fry's. (35x4, preamps, sounds sweeet...159.95) (finally some
nice beat in the ol' rocco)  =)
noah@newdimensions.com
http://www.newdimensions.com