Re: oxs sensor cont.

Stormer wrote:

> Along with the oxs light comming on, I have been only getting
> 18-20 mpg, when i start the car the idle pulses between 700 and
> 1300 rpm, the car hesitates, and some times a hissing air
> leaking sound comes from under the steering wheel.

Low gas mileage and a hunting idle speed are very typical
for worn out (aged) oxygen sensors.  They get too sluggish
and the controller overcorrects the fuel mixture before the
sensor can tell it to stop.  The net effect in my experience
is poor fuel economy in the 20 mpg range.  When you consider
the money you're wasting on fuel at 20 mpg versus 26 mpg the
$30 for a new sensor doesn't sound so bad (costing you about
$12 per 1000 miles at today's gas prices).

A lot of people prefer not to change these, but they do not
have a specific life.  It depends greatly on the type of
fuel you use and any oil additives.  Sulfur is particularly
bad on O2 sensors and catalytic converters. Manganese (sometimes
found in motor oils) is also bad news.

My advice is to use a good grade and brand of fuel.  If you can
smell sulfur in the exhaust, then change brands to see if it
goes away.  If it does or is reduced then use that brand.

regards,

Mark