Re: Mechanically challenged newbie

 and there is a hum from the rear of
>the passengers side of the car.  It sounds like it might be coming
>from the rear radio speaker.

Have you tried turning off the stereo to see if the hum goes away?  If it's
still there does it very with your speed?(wheel bearing).   Or does it hum
with the radio off and the car not moving?  then maybe it's more of a
buzzing, which is the sound of your fuel pump.  In that case I would say
it's normal, although I have heard quite a few people say it shouldn't be
loud(and supposedely it's dying) all of mine have been audible from inside
the car and I have never had one go yet in 10 years of VW ownership.

John Worden
Old Town, ME.
 '98  Dakota cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue,
 '84  Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
 '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)