Re: Lightened flywheels?

---Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com> wrote:

> BTW, I would recommend going with a commercially
> available lightened flywheel which is balanced
> as Shawn suggests.  Poorly machined (or in the
> wrong places) can cause vibration and/or more
> serious a rupture.  And you don't want the flywheel
> scattering in a FWD VW unless you want metal
> debris flying up your pants!  :-0
>
> regards,
>
> Mark

I would totally agree that the flywheel _must_ be rebalanced
if the balance/weight ring is removed for lightening.  However,
there's no reason at all that your local competent machine shop
can't remove the ring and have it balanced, probably for less
then what Velocity sells them for.  In fact, while I was having
all my other engine work done, my engine builder/machine shop
did my flywheel for nothing extra, although I was paying them
to have the whole engine balanced anyway.  I'll take some pictures
of it when it comes home, which should be today actually... :)

==Brett