[Fwd: Jetstream]

Here's a response on the jetsream thread that was kicking around, from
a good buddy of mine who flies the Airbus A300 for American....

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Jetstream
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 99 17:37:48 GMT
From: dreck@shadow.net (Dave Reck)
To: Kevinc@flashcom.net (Kevin Collins)

Kev - I've seen the Jetstream at 225Knots ( 255 mph ). The airspeed
indicators in aircraft become less accurate with altitude. We switch
over to Mach speed at about 28,000 ft. Most comm. planes fly at
around .80 or 80% of the speed of sound. Of course the speed of sound
also changes with altitude because the air is colder. At 39,000 ft. the
average comm. jet will show an indicated airspeed of around 260
knots due to the low air density. For all practical purposes - the
airspeed indicator is worthless until descending to a lower altitude.
What we care about is the True A/S plus the wind which gives us
Ground Speed. We flew a DC-10 from LAX-JFK one night and had a
G/S over 630 Knots ( over 700 mph ) We did the trip in 4 hrs. dave