Re: PLEASE HELP

I've never experianced the transfer pump problem... I don't have one... but
from all of my reading, the first thing I thought of when I started reading
this was... transfer pump :)  Now, on the vapor lock thing?  Somebody correct
me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible to suffer from vapor lock WHILE the
car is running?  Vapor lock is generally something that occurs when the car is
shut off.  And, since you say it starts right back up, that would tell me it's
not, since vapor lock usually causes a car not to start.

just my 2 cents

At 03:09 PM 2/8/99 -0800, Mark Madison wrote:

>     Okay, I am buying an 85 Scirocco on Thursday, now here's the situation.
> I am getting a really straight running 85 Scirocco 8v for $300.00 which
> sounds sweet, but has 1 major problem.  It only runs for about ten to
fifteen
> minutes, from which it will die until cooled.  The it will start right back
> up again and do this all over again.  This person sounds like they don't
know
> the first thing about the way a VW works so I'm taking the challenge on.
The
> catch is, I live 100 miles away and need to drive the damned thing home.  If
> I tow it, it won't be worth the effort.
>
> I have a sneaky suspicion that it is the fuel transfer pump in the tank that
> is bad.. In fact this is a factory recall fix on this exact year and
model of
> car for this very same problem.. So I'm going to get one from the junkyard
> and *cross my fingers* hope that this will remedy the situation.  I have
> asked numerous people.. over twenty now.. and about half have seen this
> problem or had it themselves and say it should fix it.. because that is what
> was wrong with their cars..  Now what else could it be?  I can get some
parts
> and take them with me..
>
> someone said it could be Vapor Lock.  I am curious at this statement,
because
> it is Virutally IMPOSSIBLE to get Vapor lock.. not Completely impossible..
> but it seems highly unlikely in a VW CIS motor.  besides wouldn't it take
> longer to get the motor to temperature where vapor lock could occur? I live
> in the Pacific NW area, Oregon to be exact so its not even remotely hot
> enough outside to aid in temperature boosting for Vapor Lock.
>
> Any and ALL ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mark Madison

	-David LeDeaux
'80 Scirocco