Re: [16v tech] timing belt tensioner

In a message dated 2/8/99 8:17:22 AM EST, SCIROCCO87@aol.com writes:

<<  tensioner with the off-center nut that requires a wrench with two pins on
it
  to pivot it to adjust the belt tension. I've been to Sears, PepBoys, and a
  couple of other tool stores, and no one's heard of anything like it. I've
  got a few for my bicycle, but I'm sure they're not nearly heavy enough for
  this job. >>
 Don't want to buy the tool?? Want to improvise?  Here's what u do.  Take your
 1/2 inch socket wrench, put the handle part between the tensioner and the
 motormount, pull upwards on the socket wrench, and use another wrench to
 tighten the bolt. This will put tension on the belt. There ya go.... now
spend
 that xtra $ on a bottle of armor all or something. That's what I've been
doing
 for years with NO problems.  HTH >>

Speaking of the bicycle thing, I've used a freewheel pin spanner for my
tensioner and have had no problems.  The ones from Park Tools work great.

HTH,
Stew