SV: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

Some points from inside, when I bought my 82 turbo it had 239mm
original vented discs and calipers. The discs where cross
drilled. Drove some time with this setup but after several
speeding to over 200km/h and braking they stopped working. No
break at all. During my time only very small stress cracks on
some few spots on the discs.

Then I made a bracket and moved my caliper out and placed a
280mm G60 disc inside. Cheap Corrado brakes, their caliper is
bigger. I drove like this for a week, car braked many times
better now and the FEELING and locking control of the
brakes where much better. I could brake harder and not
lock the wheels. After that week I slotted my discs
(father has a workshop so all necessary machines are
there).

Smallest rim I can fit is 15" but if I need to fit 13" rims I
can change the disc and remove the caliper, no bleeding
necessary. I tested this setup on a few laps on a
racetrack to, worked fine all the time. Some Corrados
running at the same time had problems with fading
due to their heavier weight. In the back I have the G60
calipers and slotted discs. All this with original master
cylinder, I'm upgrading to the 22mm mastercylinder
right now.

Roland Johansson
Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker

> >>Does anyone know exactly what's involved in installing
corrado brakes on
> >>an 87 16v? Are the calipers much better? Is it worth the
trouble?
> >>Brackets/spindles different? If I remember correctly the
corrado has 11"
> >>brakes and the rocco 16v is 10.1"??? I'm going with ATE
super blue brake

> Okay... this is a subject that I've been debating with someone
behind the
> scenes for the past month or so.  It is my opinion that
putting 11" brakes
> Okay.. Riley.. uh, I mean, this person with whom I have been
debating this
> point offline, said that maybe the Mercedes uses a 2 or
4-piston caliper,
> which would help braking force.  That's a valid point.
>
> But! The Audi doesn't.... it uses the same calipers as the 16v
does...  So,
> how can we justify needing 11" brakes on a car that only
weighs 2300, when
> the Audi weighs 35% more and is *still* considered an
excellent braker?

> True, the increase in swept area will give the brakes more
initial bite..
> but (and now we come to my point), isn't the braking distance
of a car
> limited essentially to the tires' ability to grip?  I mean,
I'm sure I