Re: Coolant Change Question (Air Bubble?)

Dondria Wallace wrote:

> > Looking for a technique.
>
>     I changed the coolant on my 86 16v, and it is still overheating.
> I've changed the radiator, and water pump, along with hoses, coolant
> tank sensor, and thermostat.  I figure that it must be an air bubble in
> the line somewhere.  I wasn't able to add the proper amount of coolant.
<snip>
> Thanks,
> Lloyd

Lloyd,

Do what Chris ( and I ) said-

Put your Heater on Full Heat. (This is ancient standard practice)
Pull the hose off of the top of the Radiator.
Pour coolant/water mixture down on top of the engine block. (Engine is
cool, right?)
Drive normally and recheck level.

Drilling the hole(s) in the thermo is optional, if it's in place then
don't bother unless you are draining the coolant for some other reason.
Helps to put a 1/8" or smaller hole(s) in it to aid in 1. reducing
trapping air and 2. to allow a small amount of coolant flow to pass
through this area at all times.

Finally, maybe the coolant system is doing it's job but you have a hot
running engine anyway. Too lean a fuel mixture? Perhaps caused by an air
leak? TIming set out of wack?

hth,
TBerk