RE: Alternator squeal..and the V belt isn't too tight

>Well, I got te belt from Potterman at Virtual World and it is OEM.  When I
>had the alternator off last night, I spun the shaft and no bad noises.  I
>sprayed some lithium grease on the part where the shaft meets the alternator
>body in the hopes that it would lubricate the bearings.  I spun the shaft
>again, and it spun easier.  When I put the alternator back in the car, the
>freakin thing started squeeling again (at least I THINK it is the
>alternator--I put my head up to it, and it sounds like the noise is coming
>from there).  It  might be that the bearings are just shot and the grease
>isn't doing much.

what kind of squeal is it?  my belts squeal all the time, but it's not
from slipping.  it's just a very annoying EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....  from
the belt rubbing inside the V-pulley.  it's the same noise you get when
you use those "anti-slip" belt conditioner?  makes the inside of the
belt sticky, and very loud.  it think i might have spilled something on
the belt to cause it to be sticky, that's why they are
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing....  just a thought.  hmm, maybe talcum powder?

chris
86 16V scirocco