Re: Alternator squeal..and the V belt isn't too tight

Mark Shaw wrote:

If you put on a plain old belt, you may be having
excessive slippage due to a poor surface material
or incorrect "V" angle.  The Continental belts from
the VW dealer work best and try to get a "toothed"
version with the inside serrations.

You can also check the bearings by removing the
belt and spinning the shaft by hand.  A bad bearing
typically whirs loudly under load and feels "notchy"
when spun by hand.  If the bearing is making the
squeal, then you will notice this even by hand
because you have metal to metal scrapping.

Mark

Well, I got te belt from Potterman at Virtual World and it is OEM.  When I had the alternator off last night, I spun the shaft and no bad noises.  I sprayed some lithium grease on the part where the shaft meets the alternator body in the hopes that it would lubricate the bearings.  I spun the shaft again, and it spun easier.  When I put the alternator back in the car, the freakin thing started squeeling again (at least I THINK it is the alternator--I put my head up to it, and it sounds like the noise is coming from there).  It  might be that the bearings are just shot and the grease isn't doing much.

Victor J. Farren
Research & Reference Services
PPC/CDIE/DI/RRS
Tel: (202) 661-5842