Re: odometer problem

>Hey guys, I'm new to the list although I've owned scirocco's way back since
>my first '75.  Recently the odometer on my 86 16V has started acting
>strange.  When the car is cold the odometer works fine, but as the car heats
>up it stops.  The spedo works fine always.  The dealer said that the whole
>gauge set (spedo, odometer, etc.) needed to be replaced, but based on past
>experience, the VDO 160mph gauge set will probably be very expensive.  Any
>help would be appreciated.
>
>- Jan Folkson

I've fixed this very problem several times...and I've written up the
procedure on how to fix it about 4 times in this forum alone. :)  It's
pretty common...it's either a cracked gear (which you can replace
from another speedo or maybe glue it, or it's just a slipping gear)

Anyway, there's a tech procedure on Jan's VW page at:
http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html

Look under the 'Body' section for speedofix.txt.  If you want to
know how to remove the cluster from your car, and take apart the
speedo, check my page at: http://www.freeyellow.com/members2/da-studios
and read the gauge face installation instructions.

After digesting this info, let me know if you have any further
questions.

==Brett