odometer problem

Hey guys, I'm new to the list although I've owned scirocco's way back since
my first '75.  Recently the odometer on my 86 16V has started acting
strange.  When the car is cold the odometer works fine, but as the car heats
up it stops.  The spedo works fine always.  The dealer said that the whole
gauge set (spedo, odometer, etc.) needed to be replaced, but based on past
experience, the VDO 160mph gauge set will probably be very expensive.  Any
help would be appreciated.

- Jan Folkson