RE: Coolant smell, low heating

check to make sure the heater valve under the hood is *fully* open
(against the stop or at least very close to it).  if it isn't, see if
you can open it by pushing on the lever directly.  if it feels crusty or
it is very hard to move, get a new one.  TT sells them for $10,
potterman or mark might sell them for even less, i don't know...   i
have very hot heat, only 3 to 4 minutes after i start the car.  as far
as the coolant smell, i haven't had any experience with that, sorry...

chris
86 16V scirocco