Re: engine oil leak advice

I've owned quite a number of VW's that have seeped oil from the front of
the head gasket, usually slightly right of centre or in between number
three and number four.  This list includes (but is not limited to) the
1.8L JH that is currently in my 84 Scirocco, the 1.6LD that is in my 83
Jetta (both mild seeping stains, more apparent with light grade oil), the
1.6LD in my 92 Golf - this was actually a very noticable leak, with oil
travelling down the side of the block to the pan, and at least two 1.8L
CIS engines from 85/86 Golfs and Jettas.

It's been my experience that seeping oil from this area is not uncommon,
nor is it always going to be a problem.  My JH has been seeping oil from
the head gasket for 65,000KM (as long as I've had the negine) and
heaven knows how long before that.

Note that a good fix for persistent valve cover gasket leaks is to use the
shoulderless studs and one-piece neoprene gasket from A3 1.8L gas motors.

Drew 84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Shawn C Meze wrote:

> FWIW, in my professional; opinion, ive never seen a head gasket leak oil
> or coolant (for the matter) externally on a head. if they leak, they
> typically leak into the oil passages, water jackets, the cylinders or a
> combination of the 3.
>

> Shawn Meze
> 86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
> The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
> best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
> http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca